Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 1 - A recent picture of you and 15 interesting facts about yourself

So it seems Twitterverse has petitioned to get me on the #30daysofme challenge.  I think you really have to thank (or shoot) Leanne (@FeelatHomeNZ) for this!!!
So ... sit tight and fasten your seltbelt folks ... here goes ...



This was taken on Saturday my birthday dinner with friends.
Now for 15 interesting facts.  I guess this bit is a little trickier.  How much of my world do I want to let you in on???
1.  Without my glasses I am "legally blind".  Just as well I like wearing glasses - and more conveniently, work in optics!!!  Just don't ask me how many pairs of glasses I've got - more specs than shoes!
2.  I've got two birthmarks - one white, and one brown.
3.  When I was young(er) I wanted to teach deaf children to speak.  This was sparked
 by a movie I watched as a child.  I did somewhat pursue this avenue.  I trained as a special needs therapist and worked 1 on 1 with children with autism.  Part of my role involved teaching "my kids" to communicate with either speech, sign language, or PECS (picture exchange communication system)
4.  I had a twin who died at birth - Tabitha.
5.  I collect old bottles.  Not just any bottles, but ones I have found on my late grandfathers farm.  If anyone saw the Etnia window display @AlbanyOptom, the bottles in the window were from my collection.
6.  I made the Northland Rep under 18 team for badminton when I was at high school but had to pull out when I dislocated my knee and damaged the cartilage.  I haven't really played since, but would love to join a social team.
7.  When I was five, I  almost severed four toesoff my right foot and had to have them re-attached.  Ewww
8.  I once went to a fancy dress party themed "What you wanted to be when you grew up" as a cat!  Most people went dressed as pilots, doctors, rock stars etc.  But I think cats have it pretty good.  They lounge in the sun all day, wonder as they please, eat, and sleep more!  What a life!
9.  I love being creative.  It gives me purpose and passion!  Whether it be making cards, photography, baking, mosaics, or window displays.  I have to have a creative outlet otherwise I feel empty and lost.
10.  I'm a networker.  I love connecting people.  Just check out my handbag!  I've got more business cards belonging to other people than I do of my own!!!  I make lots of acquaintances, but have a small inner circle of close friends.
11.  I like knowing how things work and will always attempt to fix something if it's broken before I'll paying someone else to do it.
12.  I've done a full service on my car - oil change, spark plugs, filters etc!  I've even replaced the brake pads.  Let's just say I know Rhonda (the Honda) quite intimately.
13.  I once got a letter from the Lady in Waiting at Buckingham Palace after sending the Queen a birthday card.
14.  I love fishing.  My grandfather always joked that I was born holding a fishing line!!!  The heaviest snapper I landed was 23 pounds.  We named him Frank. lol
15.  I learnt to play the piano for eight years as a child.  I find it a great stress reliever to thump at the keys and escape while making beautiful sounds.  I've missed it so much that I started lessons again last month.  It's amazing what comes back to you after not playing for so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment